Friday, June 11, 2010

Cleaning Blood from Clothing

We own a couple of cockatiels. The other day one of them broke a blood feather and started to bleed. This is very dangerous and a cockatiel could die from it. We had to act immediately. I held him and my wife got some pliers and pulled the feather out. Everything turned out fine. But some of the blood got on my wife's shirt.


What do you do when you get blood on your clothes?
The first thing I did was spray some 1.5% hydrogen peroxide directly on the blood. Then I put 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide into about a quart of water and soaked the shirt in it for about an hour. When I took it out there was no sign of the blood. And luckily there was no fading either. Hydrogen peroxide can, on occasion, cause your colors to fade. But I don't think it's too big of a risk with older clothes that have been washed numerous times since we use hydrogen peroxide in our wash anyway. Later, we washed the shirt and it's doing just as well as the cockatiel.

Remember, if you do put clothes with blood on them into the wash be careful. First, wash in cold water. If the blood does not come all the way out then try washing it again. Do not put it into the dryer since the heat will set the stain and you will probably never get it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment